Sunday, March 14, 2010

Liquid Amber tree

Question
The roots of our liquid amber tree have been getting higher and higher in our yard the past 12 yrs.  My husband has chopped out some over the years and we have had it pruned once (a point of contention between my husband and myself) they ruined the beautiful shape.  The tree is old and huge.  In the last month or so we have found 2 branches lying on the yard and I think it is not as full and healthy as it has been in the past.  I live in Bakersfield, CA  Thank you for any help you may have regarding our once beautiful tree.


Answer
If the roots are starting to be exposed above the ground you can add sand over the roots as long as the sand is not more than an inch or 2 over the roots. I would fertilize the tree with 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb per inch of trunk diameter scattered around the tree and watered in good. Fertilize just before a rain storm and you will not have to water it in. This will increase the health of the roots and in turn the foliage.