Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weeping Cherry Tree

Question
I bought a weeping cherry tree about a month ago. The nursery that I bought it from gave me directions on how to plant and how to water since it was new.. I did as the directions said and now a month later the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.. Is my tree dying and if not will the leaves that fell off grow back?  Please help with any advice. I paid alot for this tree and I am almost sick that it may be dying.. thanks


Answer
You can check to see if the tree is dead by starting near the top on an upper outer limb and scrape a small bit of bark off the twig. If the color under the bark is green the branch is still alive at this point on the branch. If the color under the bark is not green --brown- the branch is dead at this point on the branch. If brown continue down the branch scraping at intervals until you find green or reach the trunk. If you find green the tree should leaf back out next spring. tree will go through a shock when planted and loose some of their leaves. I would check with the nursery about their policy of guaranteeing the tree will live. IF the time will run out by next spring I would tell them you want to bring the tree back for one that is a live. If the time is after next spring wait and see what develops then.